Turbo-Boost Your People-Management Skills…and Gain a Professional Qualification in Mediation
This course teaches you the skills of professional mediation
Most importantly…you learn how to tackle conflict head-on, so you help people shift from defensive positions to workable solutions
This mediation training course runs for 6 full days followed by a one-day videoed role-play assessment, to enable you to become a Certified Mediator. The programme is approved and accredited by the Mediators’ Institute of Ireland.
(Click to skip to our Frequently Asked Questions for more details)
We spend over 75% of the time on role-play skills practice, with maximum 8 participants to one trainer.
You will have individual coaching and mentoring on your development as a mediator throughout.
We also give you 4-5 hours of preparatory e-Learning Modules to be completed before you start the in-classroom training.
Click here to read what programme graduates have to say they found most useful in this course
This mediation training course helps you
- Create a safe and supportive atmosphere so that people caught in the conflict zone feel safe talking through their differences and difficulties
- Listen in a way that helps people to get clearer on what’s really important to them
- Facilitate people to resolve issues, so they can draw a line under them, and move on
- Stay calm, compassionate and clear-headed throughout
April-May 2020: Maynooth, Co Kildare
Dates and booking form HERE
(You will receive access to the pre-course eLearning module approx 7-10 days in advance of the first course day)
Download Course Aims and Objectives
“Mary was a fantastic trainer with a huge knowledge and a wealth of hands-on experience.
Role plays were a core part of the training and I got individual coaching and mentoring following each role play.
I would highly recommend this course, I gained valuable skills that I can use in both my professional and personal life“.
“After 35 years, I thought I’d got all the courses; this mediation training course has had a huge impact on me.
As a Senior Business Partner in HR after being a line manager for 35 years, my inherited tendency was to “solutionise”. This course with Mary Rafferty showed us how to get to get to heart of problems by using the mediation process.
Others have noticed and so have I – subtle but necessary changes.
I would recommend this programme to any manager – in the line or not. It will arm you with tools where staff will see your targets as theirs and it will extend the range of your success”.
“Mary is an outstanding facilitator who modelled excellent mediation skills throughout the course. She responded thoughtfully and comprehensively to participants’ questions. She encouraged and challenged everyone to learn“.
Why take this Mediation Training Course?
- The course structure – 3 x 2-day modules, is spread over a 5/6-week period – allows time, to digest what you’ve learned and keep up with the written course work
- You’ll get hours of practical skills-based role play training where you get to hone your skills as a mediator, in a relaxed and fun learning environment
- You will also receive individualised, ongoing feedback and mentoring as well as a video of yourself mediating (the good, the bad and the ugly…) so you can appreciate your own progress
- The written work supports you to understand the legal and regulatory aspects of mediation (so you follow ‘best practice’)
- The reflective learning journal you will have to keep throughout the programme, helps integrate and consolidate your learning (without having to work too hard!)
- You’ll have access to a bank of resource materials – from handy templates you can use with clients (‘Sample Agreements to Mediate’, ‘Preparing for Mediation Worksheets’), to academic papers which give you in-depth background knowledge on mediation and its application
“From day one, the course builds knowledge of a process that helps to get beyond the point where both parties are dug in to a position, teaches you how to uncover the issues and concerns of both parties, and gives you the tools to help both parties to get to a point where they can find common ground and reach an agreement that is acceptable to them both. That is the process of mediation and it is very powerful.
The process reinforced using role plays that were as close to reality as you can get without being in an actual situation.
Mary is an excellent trainer who was very patient and encouraging and kept things moving along at just the right pace. I learned a lot of things that I will use, not just in mediation, but in everyday life.”
“I found the course to be very beneficial, I have completed a number of conflict resolution courses but this course taught me the benefits of listening and allowing people time to work through their issues and hear themselves. I enjoyed the theory but the role plays allowed for real life situations and the roadblocks you can encounter during a dispute.
I would highly recommend this course and have done“
“Mary was a totally professional facilitator. She was a talented teacher, engaging, supportive, encouraging and light-hearted while at the same time ensuring that each individual developed as a competent mediator. Her attention to detail and to each individual was extremely impressive. She just made it all so easy, we hardly knew we were being challenged. I can recommend this programme and Mary as facilitator in the very highest terms and without reservation to all aspiring mediators.”
“Mary’s style of delivery was intelligent, professional with a lovely dash of humour, I would recommend this course wholeheartedly. All was excellent, informative and thoroughly enjoyable”.
“The patience displayed and encouragement continually offered throughout was most welcome as was clearly the course content so well delivered. It will be of huge value to me in my legal work. Many thanks again-a really informative, beneficial and interesting 6 days“
Where, When and other FAQ’s
Mediation Training Dates: May – June 2020
Training: May 7th/8th, May 26th/27th, June 25th/26th
Assessment: June 29th/30th
Venue: Glen Royal Hotel, Maynooth, Co Kildare
Investment: €1950 (includes €250 MII Certified Level Assessment fee)
Early bird rate: €1850 if paid in full by Monday 20th April 2020
(Part-funding may be available if you are employed in the private/commercial semi-state sector or are self-employed. Email me on email@example.com to find out more)
Will I be able to practice as a Mediator when I’ve completed this course?
Upon successful completion of this mediation training programme, and the assessment role play, you can register with the Mediators Institute Ireland (MII) and apply for a practising certificate and be approved to mediate, within your competency level, by the MII.
You will also have to sign up to the MII Code of Ethics and Practice and hold professional indemnity insurance.
What about practicing as a Mediator working with Separating Couples?
If you wish to practice in the area of Separating Couples, you are required to participate an additional 32-hour training module. Details and dates about providers of this programme are available on the MII website.
Do I have to attend all of the training days?
Yes, because the programme is so intensive and the in-classroom time is so short, in order to achieve your qualifications, you must attend all 6 days of the training.
Is there any out-of-class written work or ‘homework’?
Yes…we want to give you great value for your time and money…!
- Prior to course commencement, you will receive access to an e-Learning Module that will take 4-5 hours to complete. You need to complete this before Day 1 of the in-classroom training day.
- During the course you will have further tasks/e-Learning modules (4-5 hours) to complete.
- You must also complete a Written Assignment which consists of reflections from your learning journal as well as critique and reflections on your role play experience and what you have learned about conflict resolution and mediation.
How does the assessment process work?
The assessment consists of you (acting as a Mediator) in a role play where 2 of your class colleagues play the disputants, for one hour.
You will be assessed by an External MII Approved Assessor, Niamh Cunningham.
Your role play will be videoed and you will receive a copy of the video so you can do a written reflection afterwards and forward to the Assessor. This will also form part of your assessment.
Who should or could attend this mediation training?
Participants can range from Line Managers, Senior Managers, HR Managers, School Principals to Solicitors, Coaches, Counsellors, Social Workers…or indeed anyone who has an interest in understanding the dynamics and skills of conflict resolution.
The only pre-requisite to attend is proficiency in spoken English (so you can participate effectively in the videoed role play assessment).
Can you provide this training in-house for our HR team/team of Managers?
Absolutely…I have trained teams of managers/HR managers who say it has completely changed their whole approach to the people-management aspect of their job.
And, research is showing the critical role that a mediation ‘mindset’ (skills and attitudes that seek to resolve and rebuild rather than apportion blame or sanction) can have, in reducing and minimising the level of destructive conflict in organisations.